Do you have a dispute?

The vast majority of workers’ compensation claims progress to the satisfaction of all parties involved, including the injured worker, the employer and their insurer. Occasionally parties need assistance to resolve disputes to a claim, so WorkCover WA provides both conciliation and arbitration services.

Disputes can occur at any stage of a claim and arise over a broad range of matters, including the liability to pay compensation, the amount of weekly benefits to be paid, medical and related expenses, and return to work programs.

The Workers’ Compensation Conciliation Service (WCCS) and Workers’ Compensation Arbitration Service (WCAS) aim to provide an independent and transparent system for the fair, timely and cost-effective resolution of workers’ compensation disputes in Western Australia.

For more information, access the conciliation and arbitration process chart below, or download the ‘What happens if there is a dispute?’ Guide.

Conciliation involves parties in dispute coming to their own agreement, with the assistance of an independent Conciliation Officer from the Workers’ Compensation Conciliation Service (WCCS).

Find out about the WCCS and resolving a dispute through conciliation.

Go to Workers’ Compensation Conciliation Service.

Arbitration is a formal recorded proceeding at which evidence is heard and a legally qualified Arbitrator from the Workers’ Compensation Arbitration Service (WCAS) makes a final determination.

Find out more about the WCAS, resolving a dispute through arbitration, and how to appeal arbitration determinations.

Go to Workers’ Compensation Arbitration Service.

Many common questions are answered on our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page.

Go to FAQs.