Regional Compliance Education
In 2017/18 WorkCover WA will provide education and check compliance of businesses in regional Western Australia.
The aim of the visits and inspections will be to encourage and assist employers to comply with their duty to hold a current workers’ compensation policy. Inspectors will be visiting workplaces and checking for valid workers’ compensation Certificates of Currency.
WorkCover WA visited Karratha in August and will be visiting the following areas during the next ten months:
- Goldfields – Esperance
- South West
- Great Southern
- Indian Ocean Territories
Businesses who engage workers are reminded:
- you must have cover if you have any workers, including family members, paid to work in your business
- contractors and sub-contractors with their own ABN can also be ‘workers’ and may need to be covered by your insurance policy
- workers’ compensation insurance does not automatically renew each year
- you need to follow up with insurers and brokers to obtain an insurer issued Certificate of Currency
- public liability insurance is not the same as workers’ compensation insurance.
For more information about workers’ compensation, please contact WorkCover WA’s Advice and Assistance line on 1300 794 744.