Legislative changes (COVID-19) – effective 12 October 2020
Amendments to the Act and Regulations come into effect on 12 October 2020. The amendments address a small number of priority issues in response to the COVID-19 pandemic:
- Establish a presumption of work-related injury for COVID-19 contracted by health care workers
- Discontinue the common law termination day
- Provide for a revised notice to be given to workers about common law claims
- Provide for email service of liability decision notices to workers from insurers and self-insurers
- Provide for annual indexation of capped worker entitlements
The legislative amendments implement the McGowan Government’s commitment to address COVID-19 related barriers in the workers’ compensation statute as a priority.
Click here for fact sheets about the changes.