Are you covered?
WorkCover WA has noticed a number of cases where employers mistakenly believe their ‘business insurance package’ covers them for workers’ compensation.
Many of these packages actually exclude workers’ compensation liability and the employers involved have faced penalties for not having adequate insurance.
If you don’t have workers’ compensation insurance, your business could be liable for:
- costs in excess of $600,000 in benefits if a worker is injured
- fines of up to $5,000 per worker
- any avoided premiums going back five years
- liability for the cost of any action taken at common law
- legal costs involved in any court action.
If you employ workers or contractors, contact your insurer or broker today to check you have the correct coverage.
For further information on employers’ rights and obligations go to www.workcover.wa.gov.au/employers or read Workers’ compensation essentials – Employer fact sheet.