The Workers Compensation and Injury Management Bill 2021 – (Consultation Draft) was released for public consultation on 11 August 2021 and the period for public submissions has now closed.
The draft Bill modernises WA’s workers compensation laws and is based on recommendations from WorkCover WA’s 2014 Review of the Workers’ Compensation and Injury Management Act 1981: Final Report.
Read the media statement from the Minister for Industrial Relations announcing the public consultation process. The draft Bill has been prepared for public comment before it is introduced into State Parliament, continuing WorkCover WA’s open and consultative approach on the legislative review.
Submissions made on the Workers Compensation and Injury Management Bill 2021 (Consultation Draft) are accessible under the Submissions tab below.Workers Compensation and Injury Management Bill 2021 (Consultation Draft)Guide to the Bill and supporting information
The following resources provide explanatory information to help you understand the Bill.
The Guide to the Bill provides an overview of the structure of the Bill to help you identify key areas of interest, and provides a guide to the main provisions of the Bill.
- The Information Sheets – consolidated PDF provide summary information on a number of topical issues
- The Comparison with Current Act by Key Provisions compares the Bill with the current Act on key provisions
- The Comparison with Current Act by Section Number identifies the consultation Bill clause numbers for the corresponding sections of the current Act, or whether a section of the current Act is being repealed
- The 2014 Review of the Workers’ Compensation and Injury Management Act 1981: Final Report contains the background and recommendations for drafting a new Act on which the Bill is based.
WorkCover WA delivered 7 public information sessions on the Bill, which provided an opportunity for anyone interested, to understand the journey to modernise workers compensation laws and ask questions before finalising a submission.
A copy of the presentation is available for download.
Bill Consultation Information Session – Presentation (PDF – 3.91MB)
Each submission made on the Workers Compensation and Injury Management Bill 2021 (Consultation Draft) was accompanied by an authority from the submitter for WorkCover WA to either:
- Publish their submission on the WorkCover WA website
- Publish their submission on the WorkCover WA website but with the submitter’s name redacted
- Keep the submission confidential.
A total of 86 submissions were received.
- 41 submitters authorised WorkCover WA to publish their submissions as received.
- 13 submitters authorised WorkCover WA to publish their submissions with submitter name redacted.
- 32 submitters requested confidentiality and did not authorise WorkCover WA to publish their submission on the WorkCover WA website
The following is a list of Acts marked up to show the amendments if the changes within the Consultation Draft Bill are incorporated: