Information on the current criteria for a person to be designated as an approved medical specialist and how to apply are outlined below.Eligibility
- be registered as a medical practitioner with no current notations, conditions or reprimands for disciplinary purposes recorded against their registration for medical practice; and
- provide evidence of current clinical practice and/or expertise in assessment; and
- have undertaken training in the WorkCover WA Education Module, which includes training in the WorkCover WA Guides; and
- have undertaken training in the use of the American Medical Association Guides to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment upon which the current WorkCover WA Guides are based; or
- have current accreditation as a “Certified Independent Medical Examiner” with the American Board of Independent Medical Examiners (ABIME); or
- have undertaken other training in impairment assessment approved by WorkCover WA; and
- have qualifications as a specialist; or be able to demonstrate competency levels acceptable to WorkCover WA.
- significant work in a medical practice with consistent management and assessment of injured workers;
- experience in undertaking medical assessments of injured workers;
- relevant qualifications, for example, ABIME exam certification or other similar qualifications related to medico-legal assessments or disability assessments.
Applications in this category will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
The application form and further information is available in the Approved Medical Specialist Application Packs below.
Specialist – Medical Practitioners: Application Pack (PDF – 690kb)
Non-Specialist – Medical Practitioners: Application Pack (PDF – 698kb)